Monday, February 28, 2011

Mushroom Soup


So this is a great soup for when u end up buying loads of mushrooms but never end up using them. I buy mushrooms with the intention of  using more mushrooms in my food and  a couple of days before they go bad I find myself making soup to use them up .I used make a milk based mushroom soup before I discovered this soup.

As usual I ended up with a large amount of mushrooms losing the will to survive  but  as it was a  special occasion I wanted to do something different.And this soup is what I came up with. Never had I a soup that is so creamy with out cream.
The great thing about this soup is that it works if you have only white standard mushrooms and powdered stock or if you go the whole hog and get a selection of  mushroom like shiitake oyster brown and dried Porcini mushrooms and use fresh stock. Of course better produce brings better results but give it a go either way
.Clean and chop up the mushrooms and fry in sunflower oil for a couple of minutes stirring well. Add  hot water to your dried porcini.
Then add you thyme garlic , butter and add the liquid plus the porcini.Then cook till the liquid is  nearly reduced.Season with salt and pepper to your taste and then add stock.Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 min , I then add it to a food blender all or part  depending on if you want a chunky mushroom soup or like a fully blended  .
You can keep mushrooms to add and a few florets of thyme for decoration

No comments:

Post a Comment