Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Growing and cooking the way forward.

Its been a very interesting food week for me. First I was out and about at the Camden Palace at an art exhibition. I was chatting about food for a change and a I mentioned how I would like to move the blog eventually to a “grow and cook” blog.Well someone was listining,I was handed a book called Grow and Cook by Brian Tucker, As Nora who gave me the book also runs Walnutbooks I figured should do a book review.



So here goes. Oh ya before I go on about the book my other interesting food event was that a co-worker of mine went on a holiday home to Hungary. I asked her to bring me back truffles if she could find some. So thanks Agnus, I’ve now got fresh truffles! But more about them in the future.

Back to Grow and Cook. It is a no fuss guide by Brian Tucker. It is a cookery and gardening book combined in one. Nothing too elaborate though, no photographs or images. Once I started though, I couldn’t stop reading, and for me that’s saying something as I rarely finish a book from start to finish. He gave great tips, such as  don’t bother with asparagus or spuds if you don’t have loads of space. It gave practical no hassle guide to growing and cooking all kind of foods that I’ve never tried, for instance jerusalem artichokes. The book explains best ways to grow, harvest and preserve and a simple recipe or two with everything from artichoke to water-cress and every thing alphabetically organized in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment